Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Life In The Gowanus Houses

Many newcomers to Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill and Boerum Hill (and, lets face it, many of the natives) avoid the Gowanus Houses. Sure, they're projects, but as projects go, they're not that bad. The New York Times has a nice little piece on one life in the Gowanus Houses, and her impact on the Drill Team the "Gowanus Wildcats".

"Ms. Flowers, now 51 and a facilitator at an East New York post office, still lives in the three-bedroom apartment where she grew up. And a third generation is in residence: the apartment is also home to her son, Darryl, 31, who works at a consulting and technology firm. (Ms. Flowers is engaged to his father, a longtime friend.) 

Ms. Flowers, who pays about $1,000 in rent, is not sure how much her parents paid when they arrived, but she could check because she has saved all the old receipts. “I hardly throw anything away,” she admitted. “You name it, it’s around here somewhere.” 

Over the years, her life has been brushed by the sorrow and disarray that is sadly commonplace in many of the city’s public housing complexes. She does what she can to fight back." 

Sometimes we lose track of the fact that old timers live everywhere, even the pjs. Click through and read about a life that is so close and yet so far from the Carroll Street F Train stop.

3 comments:

  1. I lived in the "projects" from 1949-1956. I always wondered what they are like now. From the picture it doesn,t look that much different. We lived at 426 Baltic in a 3 bedroom,I think it was a G apartment. I think my mother said the rent at the time we left was 34 dollars a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also lived at 426 Baltic Street Apartment 11G. And went to St Agnes Elementary School. We moved when I was 11. Haven't been there for a very long time. I am now 59. I remember when the milk man used to leave our glass bottle of milks in the front door, when the doctors used to come to the houses, when the elevators were broken and we had to walk up to the 11 floor, my sister and I use to make a game out of it. We didn't have much but it was nice, and memoriable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LIVED IN 215 HOYT STREET APT 6B IT HAS BEEN IN THE FAMILY SENCE THE 50'S FIRST WITH MY GRAND MA SIMMIONS AND THEN WITH MY MOM AND THEN MY GRAND MA AGAIN WE WHERE JHOVEH WHITNESS. . AND KEEP THE APT IN THE FAMILYS NAME.AND KEEP TO OUR SELVES. I REMEMBER THAT I COULD GO OUT AND PLAY WITH OUT PARENTS AT THE AGE OF 4,5,6,7,AND THE WHOLE GOWANIS PROJECTS WOULD LOOK AFTER US FROM TEENAGERS TO OLDERS
    AND I ALSO REMEMBER THE FIRE HIGHDREN BEING OPEN AND SMELLING THE FRESH WATER IN THE AIR
    AND HEARING PEOPLE PLAYING IN THE WATER. AND RUST WATER COMEING OUT THE SINK WHEN WE WENT UP STIRS TO EAT DINNER. I CALL IT MY ALMAMDA A PLACE EVERY ONE KNOWS MY NAME.I'AM NO LONGER THERE AS OF 1998 GRAND MA PAST AWAY AND THE APT WAS GIVEN UP.BUT I STILL CRAVE TO GO BACK TO GOWANIS HOUSES AND VISIT MY OLD FRIENDS..

    ReplyDelete