Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Amazing Interaction with the He-She of the Carroll Street Stop

 Ever wondered what the story was with the he-she who is always asking for money at the 2nd Street/Place exit of the Carroll Street stop? Well, someone stopped to ask him/her about their life. From Going Under NYC:

"There it was. I had broken the silence that was part of our relationship for the last year. I was talking to a stranger.
-Oh nothing, just away working on the masterpiece.
-The masterpiece? - I said, a bit curious.
-Yes, got myself a bit of a new face, don’t you notice it?
-I think I do, actually.
-Well, you better. Because that was about a year’s worth of standing here.
-huh?
-You see… I am on my way to be a woman, but those operations sure cost a lot. I don’t know how to do much –as a man, because I got plenty of plans when I become a woman- so I beg for money."

I will admit, I have been less than outgoing to this person, but this recanting of his/her story is very interesting.  I've seen him/her in Red Hook frequently, so I assume that he/she lives there.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think this is the same he-she as you're thinking of, or at least it's not the one I see every day on my way home at the 2nd place exit. S/he is black and doesn't have a spanish accent as the article describes. I'd sure like to know his/her backstory, though.

    ReplyDelete